Sunday, May 15, 2011

Monsters Aren't All Scary

Holy hiatus from blogging. What's up with that? Life got a little busy, then Blogger got a little buggy. But we're back. With projects and recipes and more craft supplies than time. No kidding on the supplies bit. Between Hobby Lobby, garage sales, and a quick raid of some family members' goods this weekend, I now possess enough craft garb to deck out a small boutique hotel. Or maybe just our split level. I won't even get started on the amount and types of adhesives I couldn't live without. Either way, I am hooked up and ready to get my craft on.

Little progress was made in the way of home decor, but I did get a chance to whip up this little package for a special two year old.
Details: The birthday boy is currently into monsters, so I took my cue from there. Found an uglydoll online...so ugly they're cute. Wanted to make the matching shirt, so I bought a kids' cotton shirt, some felt, and embroidery floss all at the craft store. The felt is cut into similar shapes and sewn on by hand with embroidery floss. You could also machine stitch, but I liked the look of the hand stitch. I used a button for the eye.

The card was impromptu and made using the blank side of another, not-birthday, not-that-cool card I had on hand. I stitched on a matching felt orange eye and then stitched yellow around the edge for a border. Turned out way cuter than I had planned, and was reminiscent of those lacing activity cards I did as a kid.
My own monster model. The drool is not part of the shirt. It is an accessory.
Here is the lucky recipient clutching the monster as he flees gift opening.

I see more custom kids' clothing in my future. Maybe next time with a machine, though. You know, for the instant gratification and all.

I'm guest posting over at My 3 Little Birds today, and have shared this delightful recipe:
Head on over and check it out!




All my best,
Robin

3 comments:

  1. Haha this is so cute! The photos just made me smile. I love how he has a little shirt to match his toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, especially the little one with the chubby cheeks.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nifty idea! I love your little model :)

    ReplyDelete