Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Take a Look....It's in a Book


I am a teacher, so naturally I'm an advocate for reading. I read all the time: blogs, magazines, and picture books. These count as reading! Trust me, I'm a teacher-- I know these things. I read real grown-up books too, just not as much as I'd like.

To pass on the love for reading and the patterns of speech, we have been reading to Button Boy nearly every day since his birth. At first he didn't notice what was happening, and this was fun. He was an excellent listener, and we felt like awesome parents, exposing our wee one to literature so early in life. As the months went by, he became less interested. When I say less interested, I mean let's chew on the board book until the pages are dilapidated and have expanded to three times their normal size. Or how about we turn this into a fun game of "drop the book on the floor, look surprised, then in the cutest voice possible say 'uh-oh.'" Needless to say, he wasn't an avid reader.

Until now! We have now turned to a new chapter in his reading adventures. Pardon the pun, I couldn't resist. My son now enjoys books! Mostly just the ones where you get to touch different textures, but a book nonetheless.

We are reaching lots of fun milestones as he ages, and this one is exciting for us. We may just put away the singing frog now that we have a new hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment